- February : Stobert L. Holt convicted of extortion and making written threats to kill or do bodily harm, in the disappearance of Robert Wiles.
- March : William Heirens dies in prison.
- July : Exoneration report for Louis DiNicola added at the National Registry of Exonerations.
- October : Michael Skakel granted new trial, released on bond in November.
- November : Ryan Ferguson, conviction vacated, charges dropped.
- April : “It’s Me” published. Daily Mail article.
- June : The Wrongly Convicted Group features cases of Charles Erikson and Scott Peterson ( the connection to Edwards was not known by the group at this time ).
- July : Father Gerald Robinson dies in prison.
- January : State upholds Christopher Coleman conviction.
- January : State files response to Scott Peterson appeal.
- March : ILKP short code decoded.
- April : Wayne Williams to file new appeal.
- May : The Wrongly Convicted Group features the case of Wayne Williams and adopts the case of Ingmar Guandique.
- June : Ingmar Guandique, granted new trial.
- June : Another Edwards murder identified : Christopher Vigil, Colorado.
- June : The Wrongly Convicted Group adopts the case of Michael Skakel, and features the cases of Edgar Patino and Stobert Holt, the 5th, 6th and 7th cases linked to Edwards to be adopted or featured by the group.
- July : The Wrongly Convicted Group features the case of Christopher Coleman.
- July : Gary Leiterman, Darlie Routier and Matthew Riley are identified as new additional possible wrongful convictions for crimes committed by Edwards.
- July 23 : Scott Peterson reply brief filed.
- October : Illinois Innocence Project agrees to take on the case of Christopher Coleman.
- October : The Sam Sheppard case is linked to Edwards.
- November : Scott Peterson habeas appeal filed.
- December : Edwards linked to murder of Teresa Halbach.
- March : Chris Tapp case is linked to Edwards.
- July : Ingmar Guandique to be released, no new trial in Chandra Levy case.
- July : New DNA tests don’t connect convicted murderer to 1996 Idaho Falls murder (Chris Tapp – unknown DNA found)
- August : Brendan Dassey‘s conviction overturned.
- December : Brendan Dassey oral arguments set for February 14, 2017.
- December : Michael Skakel’s conviction re-instated.
- March 16: Tim Hack and Drew Kelly on A&E. Preview | Program | Discussion
- March 20: Chris Tapp to be released from prison
See Timeline for earlier events linked to Edwards.